Tuesday 19 May 2015

Guitar Crush Part 2

I went back to the charity shop today to see if the guitar I had got brilliant vibes from a few days ago was still there, and it was! £10, a damp cloth, a tuning and some string cleaner later and it every bit lives up to those vibes. It has a lovely warm tone and is just a little smaller than 3/4 size- I think there might be a name for this particular size but at risk of using the wrong one I'll skip it for now.


I've researched the model from the numbers KC 265 written on the inside and found that it was probably made in the 1970s. There are definitely some cons to having an older guitar- for example the tuning pegs are stiff with rust. I'm hoping when I restring it and clean it properly I can access them with some WD40 or something similar to ease them up a little.


I have never owned a classical guitar before, but even I am sure that this stringing looks a little odd. At first I was confused about how whoever last changed the strings had managed to put them in half ukulele style and half I didn't even know what, but I figure some of the strings must have broken over time and been replaced with ones from a different set. Poor thing will be restrung just as soon as my final college project is finished.


I wasn't able to get a very good photo of this, but one thing I really love about this babba is these tiny notches in the frets. I'm sure that from a technical point of view they're not good news at all but think about all the songs that must have been played on this guitar before it ended up in a charity shop looking somewhat sad. I bet it's seen some lovely things.


So here it is. My beautiful grubby 6th member of my string instrument family. Three acoustic guitars, one electric guitar, a baritone ukulele and the obligatory soprano ukulele. This is getting wonderfully out of hand.

My song for today is Urge Overkill- Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon. There is no denying that this one certainly has some iffy lyrics. Girl, you don't ever need a man. That aside, Pulp Fiction and this song are both brilliant.

-Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment